ILH and Pac-Five
The Interscholastic League of Honolulu was formed in 1909 with Punahou School, Kamehameha Schools and McKinley High School. More public and private schools joined the league and a wide variety of interscholastic sports were offered to the students, which eventually came to include sports for girls. Hawaii Baptist Academy, which joined the ILH in 1962 as its eighth member school, is proud to be a part of this organization.
In 1970, the public schools of Honolulu withdrew from the ILH and became part of the Oahu
Interscholastic Association. Today, the ILH comprises 24 private schools with over 7500 students participating in 21 different sports including canoe paddling, kayaking, sporter air riflery, water polo, judo, cheerleading and sailing. The Board of Athletic Directors (BADILH) and Principals (BOPILH) of the ILH maintain an excellent program with the well-being of the student-athlete as an emphasis.
Pac-Five was organized and began competition in the ILH in 1973. Its purpose was to give more
students from the smaller member schools a chance to participate in a wider variety of sports such as football, baseball, soccer, softball, wrestling, swimming, water polo and track. This concept of combining students from smaller schools in order to compete in interscholastic athletics was the first of its kind in the nation.
The original members of Pac-Five were Mid-Pacific Institute, University High School, Hawaii Baptist Academy, Maryknoll School and Our Redeemer Lutheran School (now called Lutheran High School).
Today, in various sports, Pac-Five includes the following schools: St. Francis School, Sacred Hearts Academy, Damien Memorial High School, Lanakila Baptist School, Assets School, Honolulu Waldorf School, Hanalani School, Le Jardin Academy, Island Pacific Academy, Pacific Buddhist Academy, Christian Academy, Hawaiian Mission Academy, Maryknoll School, Mid-Pacific Institute, Hawaii Baptist Academy, La Pietra School, St. Andrew’s Priory, St. Louis School and University Laboratory School.