Top: The 2016 athletics special individual award winners. From left to right: Nathan Hishinuma, senior; Stephanie Dang, senior; Aaron Wong, senior; Dillon Kodama, senior; Micah Mitchell, sophomore; Aly Wada, sophomore; and Shayne Fukuda, senior. Bottom: Madison Moku, sophomore. Photo courtesy of Deren Oshiro.
About 340 students, coaches, parents and guests gathered at the HBA Varsity Athletic Awards Banquet on May 28. The annual event, held for the sixth consecutive year at the Manoa Grand Ballroom, recognized all of the HBA students who participated in varsity sports during the past school year for HBA, PacFive or other combination teams.
The varsity banquet is one of the few opportunities during the year to bring together the students, coaches and parents from various varsity teams and sports, so it serves as a time of fellowship and is an uplifting way to culminate each sports year.
This year seven teams were honored for winning their respective ILH Championship. These were girls basketball, girls and boys volleyball, girls and boys tennis, girls bowling and softball (PacFive). Three teams finished as HHSAA State Runners-Up (girls bowling, boys bowling, boys cross country) and four teams won HHSAA State Championships (girls volleyball, girls basketball, boys volleyball and softball).
The HBA Athletic Department also recognized President Richard T. Bento with an honorary plaque. Mr. Bento is retiring later this month after 31 years of service to HBA, the past 22 years as the school's President.
The HBA Athletic Booster Club helped subsidize the event for the athletic department. KTM Services/Enjoy Products donated the centerpieces (snack mix, containers, wrap and decorations). Open Mortgage donated the favors (chocolate covered fortune cookies).
In all, about 120 students were presented with certificates, letters, pins and team awards.
PacFive Award winners were:
- Aaron Wong, senior (swimming);
- Tyle Matsukawa, senior (football);
- Nathan Hishinuma, senior (wrestling);
- Asia Ono, senior (girls soccer);
- Michelle Chan, senior (air riflery/precision riflery);
- Lee Tanaka, senior; and Brett Watanabe, senior (baseball).
The special individual award winners were:
Ken & Rosemond Street Sportsmanship Awards
- Male – Dillon Kodama, senior (volleyball)
- Female – Shaynie Fukuda, senior (bowling)
Athletes of the Year
- Male – Micah Mitchell, sophomore (basketball, volleyball); and Aaron Wong, senior (swimming)
- Female – Ally Wada, sophomore (volleyball, basketball, track); and Madison Moku, sophomore (track & field)
Robert Fulford Scholar Athlete Awards (Each winner presented with a check for $1,000)
- Male – Nathan Hishinuma, senior (wrestling, track, cross country)
- Female – Stephanie Dang, senior (basketball)